Marine Power Systems are seeking a qualified Naval Architect to join our wave energy & floating wind technology development team. The successful candidate will take on a key role within the team, providing technical input to the design and construction of the main floating structural elements of the technology.
You will also work closely with experienced subcontractors that will undertake significant work packages to design the main floating structure of the system. The role will involve technical liaison, simulation, engineering, design for the marine environment and design for construction/O&M. The successful candidate will work closely with the project lead and with existing in-house design engineers and wave energy simulation specialists to provide expertise in stability and strength design of the system.
The candidate will be based at the MPS head office in Swansea, main responsibilities include:
- Providing in-house naval architecture expertise to the project and team, particularly in the area of stability assessment and simulation.
- Support and provide technical liaison with subcontractors in platform, mooring, anchor and umbilical (physical) design and simulation.
- Simulating hydrodynamic/ structural interaction to specify loading for design. This may include coupled hydrodynamic structural analyses using industry standard software.
- Technical input to the design for manufacture process.
- Technical review of subcontractor’s documents.
- Technical input to the design for operations and maintenance process.
- Technical liaison with engineering consultants, contractors and manufacturers.
- Preparation of requirements based on the relevant design codes, standards and legislation.
- Preparation of technical and quality documentation including; specifications, design reports and design process descriptions.
- Technical input and advice relating to the design and construction of structural systems and components.
- Support planning and design for marine operations.
- Technical analyses will be required utilising various CAE methods and tools.
- Some structural analysis.
- Identification of navigational marking of the deployed systems.
- Some cost analysis.
- Technical input to risk analysis process.
- Degree in Naval Architecture or related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar technical/ Naval Architecture role.
- Excellent ability in design for stability including experience with relevant simulation methods and approaches.
- Good ability in mooring analysis and design.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Good organisational skills and ability to work under challenging timescales.
- A genuine interest and passion for addressing the challenges of energy generation at sea.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Eligibility to live and work in the UK.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
- Good experience in design and construction of large steel fabrications and assemblies.
- Understanding of design considerations for tension leg platforms and associated mooring systems.
MPS is looking to fill this vacancy as soon as possible.
All CV’s and covering letters to be sent to [email protected]