MPS is seeking an experienced Construction Manager to support the company in defining the strategy, developing the processes and managing the associated plans and activities for the construction and installation of the company’s floating offshore projects. Initially assisting the Megawatt Scale Demonstrator Project Manager in delivering the project in BiMEP, the Construction Manager will build team capability, support the completion of client RFIs, and provide expert input to future projects, large scale deployments and mass manufacture.
Working from the main office in Swansea, on sites and remotely, the Construction Manager will be responsible for
- Managing all aspects related to the construction of floating offshore marine projects, being the technical reference for the fabrication, manufacture, assembly, transportation, installation and commissioning phases.
- Managing external contractors’ performance against contracted requirements, including the negotiation of claims and/or variations and/or change orders with suppliers and contractors.
- Ensuring that all health, safety, environmental and quality requirements are considered in liaison with other departments involved in the projects as well as external designers, fabricators, manufacturers and contractors.
- Identifying and managing the internal and external resources needed to implement and manage the construction and installation processes to deliver successful projects, including building the construction team.
- Defining in agreement with the commercial, technical and delivery teams the construction strategy for future projects including client RFI support and the development of schedules, costs, risks and opportunities.
- Providing technical expertise during the pre-construction phases to optimise projects in relation to technical, commercial and financial objectives, including establishing construction budgets (CAPEX).
- Ensuring that construction and installation constraints are properly integrated at the interfaces between work packages; facilitating interdisciplinary cooperation between associated stakeholders.
- Initiating, preparing and managing tenders related to the construction and installation scope in coordination with the Contracts Manager, technical team and other departments involved in the projects.
- Participating in the drafting and negotiating of contracts associated with construction and installation; administering contracts and developing sound long term relationships with suppliers and contractors.
- Preparing project construction management plans; identifying risks and opportunities, monitoring progress, controlling changes to time, costs and quality, and providing timely reports.
- Reviewing and managing the documentation related to construction and installation, including final documentation and as built information for the basis of operations and maintenance activities.
Skils / Qualifications
- Engineering degree in civil, mechanical, structural, naval architecture or equivalent qualifications / experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in similar construction positions in the offshore wind industry (fixed or floating).
- Track record in successfully managing teams and contracts within a culture of safety and continuous improvement.
- Strong team player with highly effective communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Ability and fitness to work offshore as well as at height and in confined spaces.
- Ability to travel for short or medium term in the UK and overseas e.g. to offices, factories and dockyards.
- Willingness to work flexibly and outside of normal working hours to satisfy the requirements of the role.
- Good organisational skills with ability to work under challenging timescales and with minimal supervision.
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems including MS Project.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Eligibility to live and work in the UK.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
- A genuine interest and passion for addressing the challenges of energy generation at sea.
- Chartership with a recognised institution.
- Experience working in the marine, marine renewables or energy sectors and understanding of the project lifecycle.
- Proficiency in another European language.
- Offshore / safety qualifications e.g. STCW, BOSIET, CA-EBS, MIST etc.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Check out some of our staff stories and find out more about working for MPS