Marine Power Systems is seeking an experienced Electrical and Control Engineer to join our offshore renewable energy device, development team. The focus of the role within the first 12 months will be to develop the electrical, control and communications system design for a large sea-going prototype of the WaveSub wave energy converter. Working with the design and development team and external contractors, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing several distinct work packages related to the development, supply, and commissioning of the WaveSub electrical systems. The role is multi-disciplined and will involve project and contract management, technical liaison, electrical engineering, design for construction/O&M. In the longer term, the successful candidate may also support the commercialisation of MPS’ suite of technologies (WindSub, WaveSub and DualSub).
The candidate will be based at the MPS head office in Swansea, main responsibilities include:-
- Project management of the development and delivery of the electrical and control systems for the WaveSub WEC prototype, working with and supervising experienced subcontractors.
- Assessment of designs and systems to meet performance functional, commercial and user requirements.
- Supporting the electrical and control systems manufacture, commissioning and testing, working with and supervising experienced subcontractors. Likely to involve attending onshore/offshore trials, acceptance checks, commissioning and testing.
- Technical liaison with engineering consultants, contractors and suppliers of equipment.
- Preparation of requirements based on the relevant design codes, standards and legislation.
- Preparation of technical, project and quality documentation including specifications, commissioning plans, QC plans, etc.
- Provide technical input and advice relating to the design and specification of electrical systems and components.
- Supporting the development of procedures and tools to control electrical system development (software revision control and change process for example).
- Some electrical analyses.
- Some cost analysis.
- Technical input to risk analysis process.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant electrical and control related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience and good track record in electrical and control systems development.
- High level of knowledge of SCADA.
- Knowledge of appropriate software for electrical system design (e.g., Autodesk Electrical Tools or similar).
- Experience in project management.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Good organisational skills and ability to work under challenging timescales.
- A genuine interest and passion for addressing the challenges of energy generation at sea.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written.
- Eligibility to live and work in the UK.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
- Experience working in offshore renewable technologies.
- Knowledge of commercial control hardware and software environments (for example B&R systems).
- Knowledge of subsea electrical systems.
MPS is looking to fill this vacancy as soon as possible.
All CV’s and covering letters to be sent to [email protected]